Pittsburgh. Many would agree that there isn’t a bigger sports town around, and Pittsburghers nurture their young to embrace that proud legacy. But did you know that a passion for sports can be used as a gateway to talk about the topics of physics, anatomy, biology, and even chemistry?
That’s the whole idea behind Carnegie Science Center’s Highmark SportsWorks®: to inspire learning and curiosity by uniting the experience of sports for every age level with the laws of science that control sports.
Highmark SportsWorks® offers nearly 30 interactive experiences in three thematic areas: LifeWorks, Physics of Sports, and Sports Challenge. *Ropes Challenge, Rock Wall, and SkyTykes Ropes Course are temporarily closed due to COVID-19.
LifeWorks conveys the fundamental science of the benefits of a healthy, active lifestyle.
- Learn CPR to the beat of the disco hit “Stayin’ Alive.”
- Play an oversized Operation Game to remove and repair body parts linked to the ten most common sports injuries.
- Become a human yo-yo in an exhibit that demonstrates the principle of potential and kinetic energy by whisking visitors high in the air, up and back down-and then up again by pulling on cable-tethered handles.
- Scale a 25-foot Rock Wall.
Sports Challenge gives visitors a chance to be part of the game.
- Use lasers to determine your Major League swing speed, and whether you could knock a ball out of PNC Park.
- Compare your time against that of Olympic silver medalist and local track star Lauryn Williams in Olympic Sprint.
- Test your reaction speed against an ice hockey goalie at Reaction Time Hockey.
- Adjust your center of gravity to ‘hang ten’ on Skateboard Stability.
SportsWorks® is a registered trademark of Carnegie Science Center. Highmark® is a registered trademark of Highmark Inc.