PPG SCIENCE PAVILION™
The PPG SCIENCE PAVILION™ is a space for STEM education, state of the art touring exhibitions, career awareness programs, and community and private events for everyone!
Current events in PPG SCIENCE PAVILION™
Now through Oct. 30
Rock out to the science of sound and music through the evolution and design of the guitar. This touring exhibition produced by The National GUITAR Museum includes more than 70 rare, antique, and popular guitars. GUITAR is also home to the world’s largest, playable guitar and 15 hands-on interactives packed with STEM-based elements.
FedEX STEM Learning Labs:
Now through Aug. 19
Spark science all summer-long with us! Camps cover an array of topics and run Mon.-Fri. Campers will explore video game science, space, music, robotics, biology, art, and so much more.
Rent PointView Hall for your next special event. The Hall offers unparalleled views of the Pittsburgh skyline and is a picture-perfect venue for weddings, holiday parties, corporate events, lectures, fundraisers, and other festivities.
PPG SCIENCE PAVILION™ History:
PPG Science Pavilion which opened June 16, 2018, is a $33 million, four-floor, 48,000-square-foot expansion that has increased the Science Center’s capacity to deliver informal STEM education and career awareness programs, offer state-of-the-art touring exhibitions, and a modern conference and event space that overlooks the city. The PPG Science Pavilion has strengthened the Science Center’s ability to inspire the next generation of creative thinkers and prepare them for the workforce of the future. The building is certified LEED Gold by the U.S. Green Building Council, a prestigious honor that is symbolic of the Science Center’s commitment to STEM education, green design, smart technology, and in-house efforts to be responsible community partners.
PPG Science Pavilion is the centerpiece of SPARK! A Campaign for Carnegie Science Center, which was launched in 2014. Through the campaign, more than 350 donors contributed a total of $46 million for the Science Center’s strategic plan’s signature projects. PPG and the PPG Foundation generously gave $7.5 million to the campaign, supporting the addition and numerous improvements to the Science Center.
PPG Science Pavilion includes:
FedEx STEM Learning Labs – Ground Floor
PPG Science Pavilion features nine FedEx STEM Learning Labs with 6,000 square feet of lab and classroom space. These specialized classrooms support inquiry-based instruction and project-based learning in biology, chemistry, and physics, and double as a multipurpose space for teacher professional development workshops and meetings. The FedEx STEM Learning Labs include:
- Philip Chosky Charitable and Educational Foundation Early Learner Classroom, a perfect location for preschoolers to explore. Science in Motion – a program through which children make creations that roll, spin, and swing, including a mini amusement park with LEGO® STEAM Park – and Storytime Science – a program that focuses on life cycles and experimenting with senses – are among the activities hosted in this learning lab.
- Colcom Foundation Wet Lab, a fully-equipped lab for exploring forensics, biochemistry, and environmental science.
- The Joan Rossin Stephans Discovery Suite, a hub for learning about computers, coding, video game design, digital animation, green-screen technology, 3D printing, and app design.
- Tull Family Foundation STEM Classroom and the Carnegie STEM Classroom, both of which provide space for summer camp classes, such as Motors and Mechanisms, a course in building simple and complex machines with LEGO bricks, and Culinary Chemistry, a hands-on camp about the science of food and cooking.
Scaife Exhibit Gallery – First and Second Floors
The Scaife Exhibit Gallery hosts major international touring exhibitions that previously bypassed the Pittsburgh region.
- The gallery includes a 10,000-square-foot main level dedicated to a special exhibitions gallery to bring world-class, blockbuster shows to Pittsburgh.
- Visitors can look down on the traveling exhibitions from the 4,000-square-foot Suzy Broadhurst Overlook.
- The two-level gallery allows for maximal flexibility; two different exhibits on each level or one larger exhibition on both levels.
PointView Hall and Terrace – Third Floor
PointView Hall and Terrace is an elegant and modern event space with an unparalleled view of downtown Pittsburgh.
- As a versatile multipurpose space, PointView Hall is equipped to host large-scale STEM competitions and events, educational and public programming, private event rentals, and professional conferences. It’s a picture-perfect venue for weddings, corporate events, fundraisers, and more.
- With more than 9,800 square feet of space, PointView Hall accommodates 450 people theater-style, 300–400 for a cocktail reception, and 330–350 for a banquet.
- The 1,600-square-foot terrace and overlook offers a stunning view of the Pittsburgh skyline. With the venue’s floor-to-ceiling windows, the glittering city can be seen from both inside and outside of PointView Hall.