Engineer the Future
Feb. 22–26, 2021
Celebrate National Engineers Week virtually with Engineer the Future! Inspire students to explore exciting opportunities in the engineering field through live programs and asynchronous supplemental materials.
Registration for Engineer the Future has closed. Be sure to check out our other STEM programs and field trips!
Cost: $525 per classroom
Add on additional classrooms for $50 each
Various time slots for live programming will be available throughout the week to accommodate school schedules. Classrooms will schedule two live programs: the Engineering and Robotics Exhibit Exploration (all grades) plus either Who Wants to Be an Engineer (grades 3–8) or Blending Designs Fab Lab Experience (grades 9–12).
Engineering and Robotics Exhibit Exploration
Grades 3–5, 6–8, 9–12
Through videos of exhibits in action, demonstrations from our team of science educators, and an interactive Q&A with an exploration instructor, this live virtual experience walks students through the engineering principles behind their favorite Science Center exhibits. Plus, see the engineering design process at work with a demonstration from BNY Mellon Fab Lab Carnegie Science Center.
Who Wants to Be an Engineer
This 45-minute virtual assembly engages students in a high-energy game show experience as they explore engineering, materials science, and digital fabrication. Ramp up for “Double Dare”-inspired engineering challenges and tinker with simple machines to build soaring towers and suspension bridges. Produced in partnership with Arconic Foundation
Blending Designs Fab Lab Experience
Ready to take your first step in computer animation? Join the BNY Mellon Fab Lab Carnegie Science Center team in Blending Designs! This 45-minute course will virtually guide a class through what can be done in Blender, a free and open source 3D design software. Applications of this software range from CGI and video game animation to designing projects for 3D printing.
Asynchronous Supplemental Materials
Teachers will have access to prerecorded content and additional pre/post supplemental materials that can be implemented at any time. The following components will be available to teachers on Brightspace through March 31, 2021:
- Career Connections Videos: Hear from engineering professionals from all over the region and nationally through a series of video interviews that will illuminate the world of engineering and excite students to pursue careers in the field.
- Engineering Demos: Learn about engineering concepts in accessible and engaging ways with exclusive video demonstrations from the Science Center’s team of science educators.
- STEMisphere®: Access engineering-focused content from STEMisphere’s online portal of educational resources.
Silver Level Sponsor:
Bronze Level Sponsor:
- Bechtel Plant Machinery, Inc.
- Society of American Military Engineers Pittsburgh Post
STEM Center Founding Partners:
- Duquesne Light Co.
- Kennametal Foundation
- NOVA Chemicals
- PPG Foundation