In-Person Outreach Program Safety Standards
At Carnegie Museums, we are committed to the safety of our staff, visitors, and outreach program participants. As a temporary health and safety measure during the COVID-19 pandemic, we have established In-Person Outreach Program Safety Standards to ensure a safe and fun experience for in-person programming occurring in schools, educational institutions, community centers, and other related facilities.
The following standards were developed under the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s “Operational Strategy for K–12 Schools through Phased Mitigation.” Carnegie Science Center will regularly monitor CDC guidelines and update these standards accordingly.
Seven days prior to the in-person program, the Science Center will consult the CDC’s COVID Data Tracker to determine the community transmission rate for the state and county where the program is scheduled to take place. An in-person program can occur when:
- The total number of new cases per 100,000 persons in the past seven days is less than or equal to 49 cases (low or moderate transmission) or
- The percentage of nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs), including RT-PCR tests that are positive during the last seven days is less than or equal to 7.9% (low or moderate transmission).
If either metric is exceeded, the Science Center will make all efforts to move the programming outside and, regardless if the programming is inside or outside, the program will require masks for all participants (except children under the age of 2). The Science Center will regularly monitor CDC guidelines and update standards accordingly.
Further, schools must have implemented the following five key mitigation strategies that are essential to safe delivery of in-person instruction and to help mitigate COVID-19 transmission in schools:
- Universal and correct use of masks
- Physical distancing
- Handwashing and respiratory etiquette
- Cleaning and maintaining healthy facilities
- Contact tracing in combination with isolation and quarantine, in collaboration with the health department.
If the above standards are not met, replacement virtual programming may be offered, if available. Organizations may also choose to reschedule to a later date within six months.
For more information or to start booking your outreach program, please contact CustomerService@CarnegieScienceCenter.org or call 412.237.3400.