Field trip event with in-person and virtual opportunities!
Thurs.–Fri., Oct 21–22, 2021
Celebrate National Chemistry Week with ChemFest! Chemistry isn’t limited to beakers and laboratories; it’s all around us! Learn more about how chemistry is used in the workplace and in everyday life.
ChemFest will be held in person and online this year, with Carnegie Science Center staff and American Chemical Society partners performing demonstrations and career conversations both in the Science Center and in the classroom via our virtual platform.
This year’s theme — Fast or Slow, Chemistry Makes It Go! – will explore chemical reactions and catalysts that speed them up.
You have the option to bring your students to the Science Center, or virtually bring the Science Center to you!
- Discover chemistry career paths with a Career Connections panel featuring chemists and STEM professionals from a variety of industries (grades 7–12).
- Explore chemistry demos and interact with experts in the field at activity tables hosted by partnering organizations.
- All in-person attendees can also access additional downloadable virtual content on our Brightspace learning platform.
- Check out a recorded virtual presentation of Reactions in Action, a chemi-cool theater show packed with elements of surprise (grades 3–6).
- Tune in to our Career Connections panel to discover chemistry career paths and interact with STEM professionals directly through a webinar (grades 7–12).
- Enjoy two weeks of access to recorded demonstrations, factory tours, interviews, and more via our Brightspace learning platform.
In-person ChemFest Pricing: $12 per student
Virtual ChemFest Pricing: $200 per teacher log-in ($50 per additional log-in from the same school)
Registration for ChemFest is now closed. Check out our other upcoming STEM events!
STEM Center Founding Partners include Bayer, Chevron, Duquesne Light Co., Eaton, Kennametal Foundation, NOVA Chemicals, and PPG Foundation.
See what educators are saying about ChemFest!
“ChemFest was fabulous! Thank you so much for a great day for the students! They really enjoyed it. Looking forward to more virtual fieldtrips!! THANKS!”
— New Kensington Arnold School District teacher
“First of all, I’d like to personally thank you for making ChemFest happen for my 4th and 5th graders. They loved it, they did experiments, and wrote a reflection. The teachers were very pleased as well.”
— Ambridge School District teacher